Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ulcerative Colitis - healing and moving forward

I haven't posted in a while... I had a slight setback in December after eating too many nuts, but a few FMTs and it got me right back to normal.

Since we had met our out-of-pocket maximum for our insurance last year, I had asked my doctor for a prescription for a three-month supply of VSL#3-DS.

VSL#3 high-potency probiotic medical food contains 8 different strains of live lactic acid bacteria that were specially selected to produce an optimal synergistic composition of bacteria. The 8 strains are:

    Bifidobacterium breve
    Bifidobacterium longum
    Bifidobacterium infantis
    Lactobacillus acidophilus
    Lactobacillus plantarum
    Lactobacillus paracasei
    Lactobacillus bulgaricus
    Streptococcus thermophilus

I don't want to keep having setbacks. I want to do all I can to completely heal the lining of my colon so I can go forward in life, leaving these symptoms behind forever.

I used VSL#3-DS every day for about a month, then about twice a week. Now I am down to once a week or so and doing amazingly great. It feels so good to have energy again and casually stroll to the bathroom once or twice a day instead of having to know where every bathroom was, everywhere I went.

I am still drinking homemade kefir, eating homemade yogurt and homemade sauerkraut regularly. In January I started taking an over the counter L-Glutamine, which may help heal the lining of the gut. This is in addition to the other supplements I take every day - fish oil, vitamins B, C and D and a few others.

I have also been drinking a lot of gelatin, with a bit of 100% natural grape juice added for flavor. This is beef gelatin that I buy in powder form with no sugar added - just the powdered gelatin.

I am still eating SCD although I have added greenish-yellow bananas, which contain resistant starch to feed the good bacteria. I started slowly but can now eat 2 green bananas a day with no problems.

I hope anyone who read this will find home for recovering from Ulcerative Colitis, using food and FMT, instead of expensive drugs to repress their immune system or surgery. Doctors are not yet promoting FMT as a way to replace the bacteria that was killed off when they gave you an antibiotic. Maybe someday... until then, you and I have the Internet to help us learn how to do a FMT at home and how to make homemade kefir, sauerkraut and yogurt as well as how to eat healthy and heal from UC,

Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment